Tuesday, April 20, 2010

It's Tuesday!

April is flying by and I finally got a hold of those photos I took over the Easter weekend that we had lost on my sister's computer!  I had really wanted to share some of them on my blog, so I'll be posting a few in the coming days. 

A little link love for starters... Maria from Hold has an interview on Scout Magazine and she was kind enough to do a little mention of my blog at the end of her interview! You can check out Maria's felted bowls on her Etsy shop- I featured her work on my blog when she first set it up!  I'm looking forward to meeting Maria in person at the Blim Community Market this Sunday (11-4 at Heritage Hall).  Always great to put a face to a name!

On a business note, I finally filed my taxes for 2009.  As a 'small business owner' filing taxes can be a challenge. I think the most frustrating part of the book-keeping end of things is figuring out which expenses go under which category on the actual tax form and sorting out what my 'cost of goods sold' really is.  I'm not really a numbers kind of gal and to try to sort out roughly the cost of the material and the cost of selling an item... well let's just say I get a little dizzy thinking about those things.  Every year when I do all the math I get a bit depressed.  I know that it's best for me to pay as little tax as possible, however it is hard not to let the after-expenses take-home amount get to me. I've been reminded though that at least the number wasn't in the minus. Hmmm.

With that positive frame of mind, I will say that my Canadian House & Home feature has been a great way to re-connect with people I haven't been in touch with in YEARS!  It's amazing how every few days I get an email or even a letter or phone call from an old friend who saw me in the magazine and wanted to say hi again!  It's brought me back to remembering why I do what I do and how my original concept of connection in art and life has come full circle.  I think originally I felt as though I was the one reaching out to connect the two, now it's the other way around.  I'm very thank full to still be on this journey of making work. It's a labour of love, that's for sure! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, taxes! Last year I paid a taxman to do them and this year we did it all with turbotax and I'm never paying the tax man again! I keep a spreadsheet throughout the year of every expense and income, and I used to categorize each entry my way. After figuring out which of the categories every expense went where for the IRS, I now use their categories every time I enter an expense. I don't know if this'll help, but I'm thinking this'll make taxes easier this year!