Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The days that follow


I quite literally have not been on Etsy's front page since July 11th of last year.  I was in a treasury that made it to the front page in December, but my item, being on the back end of the treasury didn't actually make it to the front page.  It's always remarkable how my stats go through the roof on a day when one of my items does make it to the front page, and yesterday, I had two items in 2 treasuries on the front page- one at 8am and one at 8pm.  Kind of funny.  All I can say is that I never look forward to the days that follow a front page appearance.  When I check my stats and the percentage of hits falls like 400% or something.  It's hard to come down after such a huge climb up...

I'm finding the new system for treasuries a little crazy- anyone else out there think it's a little nuts?  I mean, the open door policy on creating treasuries is, on the one hand good.  I think I've gotten more traffic through treasuries this way because everyone feels obliged to go and click onto a treasury with their objects on it and then they see other people's stuff and click on that, and then perhaps they it in a treasury and it has sort of a ripple effect.  But it feels a like it's a bit much, like over time, people are going to start ignoring treasuries because there are too many of them and they are over-used.  Maybe that's just my feeling- perhaps people will keep loving making treasuries despite the lack of constraints, but it did used to feel as though being able to make a treasury used to be a big deal.  Anyways, food for thought. Hope your day is swell!

No comments: