Tuesday, March 9, 2010

In the meantime...

I've had a few artist who are planning to be parents ask me how many hours I'm at the studio a week, with kids and all, and while 'work' consists of more than just studio time, my studio time is rather limited.  My kids are 6 and 8 and I'm generally not at the studio for 40 hours a week.  Probably I'm consistently at the studio about 25 hours a week, if I'm perfectly honest with my time there.  It can be frustrating most days, when I have more to do than time to do it.  This past weekend, with Dean gone for 4 days, my studio time was non-existant.  This week, my boys are on Spring Break, and again, my studio-time is really limited.  We want to head up to the Island to see my sister and hopefully, new baby, and my making time gets pushed to the side. That's OK.  Time with my family is really important to me. 
That being said, I did feel like I accomplished a lot this past weekend.  With kids in tow, I dropped off work at the Gallery at the airport, picked up more shipping supplies, picked up 600 lbs of clay, and made these really cute tags with stamps I carved.  The boys crowded around me and drew designs on the soft-lino that I carved into stamps and we had a lot of fun.  It's amazing what you can get done with kids around you if you make it fun.  Good music, lots of snacks, and trips to the park in between meant that it didn't feel like they were getting dragged around all weekend too. 

1 comment:

vicki hartman said...

Great tags, and great attitude. I get tired of my own poor woe-is-me thing around kids and wanting to work more. it is possible to get things done around them when i am patient and creative about it. i am also just glad they're here. thanks for the reminder!