Tuesday, February 3, 2009

drawing


So we are taking off for a few days to go to the Interior of BC to stay with close friends of ours: a yearly tradition for us. It's great to get away from the demands of the studio and just to draw on what is around me for inspiration. Last time we were there I did this drawing with these berries above- just a really quick sketch of the shapes and coloured them in with pencil crayon for colour reference.
It's the kind of thing that I need to do more often: drawing, that is. I wish I could say that I draw daily. Drawing has never really been my strong point- I'd sooner paint or sculpt something than sit down and draw it, but at the same time, I think it is really important. I took a few drawing classes during art school, and when I moved the studio I had to go through all my stuff again and sort and sift through the stacks of drawings: what to keep, what to throw away, what is relevent, what is really bad. I was pretty ruthless. When I'm good and famous it will be tough to say I threw stuff out- stuff that might have been worth more than the paper it was on. But by then I'll be dead so it won't make any difference for me:)

No comments: