Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Inspiration: American Quilts




I found an old copy of American Country Quilts at the thrift store a while ago and thought I would share a few of my favourites here.  Along the lines of cutting out designs to create a quilt, my own method of glazing often has me thinking about my process being so infused with the Arts and Crafts movement.  Vintage textile designs, Quilt patterns, cross-stitch and wall-paper designs so often inform my inspiration for new glaze designs.  It's no wonder this book resonated with me!

I'm off to NCECA for the rest of the week! It's a big clay conference happening in Seattle this year so I'll be out of town for the rest of the week, but I'll come back with my take on the whole experience here on my blog! It's my first NCECA and I'm really grateful to have been the recipient of the Maureen Wright Scholarship to help with the costs of the conference.  It's been a long time since I have received a scholarship- so far the Northwest Ceramic Foundation has been very gracious to me (I received the last jump-start scholarship that they gave out back in 2000 for my last year at art school). The event From the Oven to the Kiln is a yearly fundraiser the organization puts on to raise money for scholarships and grants- it's coming up in a month and I have a few pots designated for the auction! If you are in Vancouver please consider supporting what they do!

No comments: