Friday, December 17, 2010

OOAK Johanna Brierley's Lucky Stones


Ok so I'm not too much of a jewelry person.  To me, simple and minimal is where it's at, and considering I only got my ears pierced on my 30th birthday, my personal collection of earrings is, well, minimal at best.  Every year though I seem to find something that suits my look, something made by a real person, an actual jeweler that I've met personally, and that piece becomes so much more than just another pair of pretty earrings.
I'm really glad I was able to meet Johanna Brierley at the One of a Kind Show.  She's from the Peg, where I spent 15 years of my life, so I immediately felt that we had something to connect over.  Man, did she ever feel familiar somehow.  What I loved best about Johanna's jewelry was her 'Lucky Stone' series.  Found on the beaches of Gimli, Manitoba (where my family spent our summers...) these little pebbles with natural holes in them are found by Johanna, made into a mold, and then cast into silver.  No one really knows how the holes on the rocks have formed or why there happens to be so many in this particular spot, but the locals have been calling them 'Lucky Stones' for a long time.  Well, needless to say, I felt pretty lucky to have a new pair of Lucky Stone earrings for the season!

No comments: