Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Saying goodbye and hello


We celebrated my grandpa's life this past weekend and, as sad as it is to say goodbye, it was a meaningful time to think back on a life well-lived.  My grandpa has passed along many gifts my way- I still play his violin that he gave me years ago after he stopped playing.  Not only did I inherit some of his actual paintings, but his gift of making (pottery, painting, carving) is something that was passed along to me.  For people who truly lived off the land, raised 6 children, and were faithfully and happily married for 66 years, my grandparents have left a remarkable legacy.  My heart is with my grandma, who just moved into 'town' and into an apartment this week- so many changes for her all at once. 

Speaking of family, we also got to see my little nephew again.  It had been a couple of months since we had seen him and in the meantime he's been walking and talking.  It didn't take him long to warm up to my boys- his cousins.  By the end of 2 days he was running back and forth between them with arms wide open, smiling and laughing and saying 'hi'.  What joy!

1 comment:

SadieAnne said...

So sorry for your loss, Heather, but yes what a wonderful legacy he left! My grandpa is quite frail too and lives with congestive heart failure. I made my peace in September when I saw him just in case he doesn't make it until I see him again at Christmas.